</head> <body>
-->

2.19.2012

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars


Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Series: N/A
Author: John Green
Genre: YA Fiction, Romance, Contemporary, Humor
My Rate: 4.7/5  a book I'd read over and over again
Published: January 10, 2012


Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind 
(Goodreads.com)

CHARACTERS || Very wonderfully crafted characters. They certainly don't talk their age, Augustus and Hazel are VERY VERY exotic teenagers. They being the way they are is what exactly made me like this book. And I can't help but feeling if I should be wishing for more Augustus Waters in this world. These three-dimensional characters are flawed beautifully and I would have them no other way. I am so in love with everyone in this book! And digging deeper you'll find that books generally have antagonists, but in this case, it's the disease itself (it's not even Van Houten!)

WRITING ||  Very beautiful. Nicholas Sparks is a cow next to this masterpiece. Dialogues are witty, punny and creative. The questioning-their-existence soliloquies are realistic with possibly every figure of speech in the world. I am certainly looking forward to reading more of Green's works (despite everybody saying his characters are low quality versions of himself). In all honesty, I enjoyed every walking moment in this book. Not a single boring moment here, and trust me, it doesn't take alot to bore me. Wit wit wit, that's what TFIOS is full of.

OVERALL || Greatly paced, indulging and provoking. So realistic and illustrative, just enough descriptions. I got so much reality of life from this book and so many amazing things to quote. I have found myself severely perplexed at times because I am unable to decide whether to cry or laugh. Humor is perfectly woven in every situation. Great great read! Recommending it to my reading friends and everyone who's interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment